Halupki. Piggies in a blanket. Stuffed cabbage.
My grandmother often makes Polish dishes and halupki has always been one of my favorites. Rice is out of my diet since going Paleo earlier this year and during the Whole30 this month I needed something quicker to make for dinner one night. I adapted the recipe to make it Whole30 compliant and save time by not having to boil cabbage leaves and roll up. This recipe was soogood!
I make it in my cast iron purple enamel coated Dutch oven that is so beautiful I leave it out on the counter all the time. Just don’t make the same mistake I did and forget that there is food in it come clean up time. I’m so sad to report that I accidently left this dish out ALL WEEKEND while we were away on a dive trip. We only had one serving each but I will definitely make it again soon..next time, skillet style!
Cabbage Roll Soup with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- S & P
- 1 TBSP paprika
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-28 oz. can plain diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. bone broth, plus more if desired
- ½ head cabbage, sliced into strips
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower “riced” or shredded
- Heat EVOO over medium high head in a Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add ground turkey and onion, break up meat and season with salt and pepper.
- When it is about halfway through, add the garlic, seasonings, carrots, and celery. (Note, you can also hold off on adding the seasonings and garlic and drain the oil at this point). Sautee a few minutes until incorporated.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes and bone broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and continue simmering until its reached the tenderness that you like…I did mine for about 15 minutes more. Add cauliflower rice about 5 minutes before you want to serve and remove from heat.
- *Note-depending on how liquidy you like your soup, you could add more broth and a TBSP of tomato paste to keep from watering down the tomato flavor.
Bonus two-fer!! Nix the broth…and voila! You have a delicious skillet meal: unstuffed cabbage rolls!