Breakfast has been the most difficult part of the Whole30 for me in terms of recipe ideas. I’ve long been a fan of scrambled eggs, but since starting the Whole30 and eating eggs every morning and pre-workout my first week, I got tired of them quickly.
That is, until my BFF mentioned pairing salsa with her eggs and I concocted this little dish. This is the only egg dish that I can’t get enough of! I made it during my prep week as a frittata and again in week two as a single-serving egg scramble.
- 9 eggs, beaten and seasoned with S & P
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 BIG handfuls of fresh spinach (ya like my measurin’ technique?)
- 1-2 cups of cooked protein of your choice, such as ground beef/turkey or shredded chicken (It is really just as good without so I only add this if I have leftovers)
- red pepper flakes
- salsa to serve
- avocado slices to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In an oven-safe skillet, melt coconut oil over med-high heat. Saute garlic and onion until soft, lower heat to medium, and then start adding the spinach, a little at a time until it is wilted.
- Add meat or poultry, if desired. Season up with more S & P and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Spread mixture evenly across pan and pour in eggs. Scramble for about two minutes.
- Let cook about 30 seconds more until the bottom is set and there is only uncooked egg on the top portion.
- Transfer to oven and cook for about 12-15 minutes until set. There may be a tad bit in the middle that still looks a little liquidy.
- Remove from oven, as carry over cooking will occur on counter.
- This is the part that really makes the dish! When ready to eat, top your portion with salsa (I like to use Pace) and 1/2 an avocado. The salsa fresh out of the fridge cools down the hot eggs just enough to eat in a pinch for breakfast! The fresh, cool flavor of the avocado gives great balance to the spicy flavor.
Southwest Egg Scramble
- 2-3 eggs, whisked & seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tsp EVOO or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 palm sized portion of shredded chicken, or other leftover protein of your choice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 avocado
- Preheat oil in a small, non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add garlic, spinach, S&P, cover and let spinach wilt, stirring around occasionally.
- Lower heat to medium. Add chicken and green onion, stir to combine.
- Pour eggs over mixture, season with more S&P and a tiny amount of red pepper flakes if desired.
- Scramble eggs and cover if needed to allow the steam to finish off the eggs.
- Top with salsa and avocado.
Of course, you can add diced tomatoes and peppers to both dishes but I think for a quick and dirty breakfast dish, the salsa suits just fine! Either way, this filling dish is perfect for any time of day and gives you your protein, eggs, and fat!