The Rise of the Sugar Monster (Whole30 Week 2 Recap)


Wow, already half-way there! During my latest week on the Whole30 I experienced two sets of feelings:


“This is FANTASTIC! I am going to eat this way forever!” and “I wish it were March 31st already…I really want some chocolate!”


Here’s how it went:

The weekend was a challenge. I dodged a bullet Friday night at a dinner party with family– everything was compliant! I only had to bring along my own salad dressing, some coconut butter, and a homemade lemon-coconut “Larabar” to have a sweet ending to dinner while everyone else had birthday cake. I spent the rest of the weekend with my mama, armed with a bag full of groceries to ensure W30-compliant meals all weekend long…

I made it through a weekend of meals away from the comfort of my paleo kitchen but, boredom inevitably struck and I still had trouble with SNACKING!

So, what! It’s just grapes and homemade Larabars!

On the Whole30, that point is moot. It’s not only about what you put in your body, but why. It is about the principle of eating mindlessly…when I am not even hungry, just for the sake of eating. When boredom hit over the weekend, I grabbed a handful of grapes…over and over. It reminded me that eating is for nourishment, not to pass the time. Simply craving flavor does not mean I am hungry or need to eat! All the sugar (even though it is natural from fruit, it still takes its toll!) brought out my SUGAR MONSTER! I experienced some BAD cravings. Seriously, bad. When I went to Sam’s Club later that weekend…I could have sworn that the giant tub of jelly beans SPOKE to me. I’m not kidding.

So, I did what I do best and I fought back with a new game plan for the rest of the week. I had an even bigger prep day than last week: I roasted pan after pan of veggies, including my favorite kale and roasted butternut squash sautee. The star players this week included a one-pan dinner of baked tilapia and veggies, homemade chicken sausage patties, grilled chicken, and pot roast. I also made salmon croquettes (a recipe from a fellow Badass Babe and fellow Whole30er), paired with tomato soup. They blew my old recipe out of the water! (This is where the “I could eat like this forever” feeling comes in!). After a break from eggs for breakfast for the few days I actually missed them and made use of leftovers in a Southwest egg-scramble (sort of a single serve version of my Southwest Frittata).

Just a glimpse at my main meals one day this week. (Note: My pre/post work food is not pictured here!)

Just a glimpse at my main meals one day this week. (Note: My pre/post work food is not pictured here!)

How did this all translate to the gym?

Still feeling slugglish, I gave myself the weekend off to rest with the hope that some extra sleep was what I needed. Whole30 + daylight savings time = crappy sleep patterns!

Monday morning bootcamp came around quick  and AMRAP 180 degree burpees at 6am just made me like I was even more off my game! My legs felt so heavy and uncoordinated but I still managed to give it my all, especially on the rip trainer! I love starting my Mondays with bootcamp…it is so important to start the week off on the right track! Gym time with the hubs on Tuesday was successful as he always pushes me to try new things. I realized I can manage push-ups and dips without the weight assist (although it is not many) so that got me feeling like things were starting to pick back up for me. Progress is still being made! I felt like I was finally getting after it in my workouts the rest of the week.

I’m feeling significantly less hungry in between meals, with the hunger pangs kicking in only an hour or so before it is time to eat (this is a big improvement). Five hours in between meals seems to be working well for me. I’m still playing around with my portion sizes…but I have experienced no bedtime hunger! YAY!! Speaking of bedtime, I am having more food dreams…but this time I dream that I intentionally have non-compliant dishes, like mac-n-cheese, and kept it a secret from everyone. I wake-up feeling really awful for lying until I remember that I didn’t really mess up! I promise I would tell you if I did!

My energy seems to be picking up and I feel more chipper! Overall I am still patiently waiting for the Tiger’s Blood to kick in and for some relief to my digestive problems. But even this early I know that every time I sit down for a meal I am doing something GOOD for my body and that is a great feeling! I am treating it with the respect it deserves!

Any thoughts on week 2? I’d love to hear what your experience was like! And don’t worry, I will continue to post a recipe or two a week. Some of them I am still perfecting for you! Next up, I’ll share how I made the Southwest Eggs-Two Ways!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s